2017 Saputo Junior Culinary Challenge
*OKANAGAN CHEFS ASSOCIATION REGIONAL SELECTION PROCESS*
This is the first step towards representing the OCA at the BC Competition. The Provincial winner will compete at the CCFCC National Conference in Calgary, Alberta.
This is to determine OCA representatives only
- An OCA Junior competition will be held Saturday, March 11th 2017 to determine 3 competitors to represent the OCA.
- THREE candidates will be representing the OCA at the provincial competition in Kelowna on Saturday April 08, 2017.
- 8 +/- Competitors only will be chosen by the OCA Executive Board and the Competition Committee.
- Selection process will be determined by the following:
YOUR APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE: Please include everything.
- Details of previous competition history if any.
- A letter from employer stating that you will be available to compete at the Provincial competition in Kelowna on Saturday April 08, 2017 if you are the OCA Branch winner.
- Confirmation that you will be available to attend the CCFCC Saputo National Junior Culinary Challenge in Calgary, Alberta May 25-29, 2017 if you are the Provincial winner.
- A brief essay as to why you should be chosen to represent the OCA.
- Please answer the following questions as part of your essay:
- What is the most important skill to possess in a competition?
- Who is your culinary mentor and why?
- What is your favorite food ingredient and why?
- What aspect of professional cooking is the most rewarding to you?
- What does it mean to you to cook local?
- Anything else you may want to add
- Must be a junior chef member in good standing of the Okanagan Chefs’ Association. Membership number MUST be provided.
- A registered student in a culinary program at a recognized institution, or equivalent training program ie. apprenticeship Or *Can not have attained a Certificate of Qualification for more than one year prior to competition date.
- Note- there is no age limit for this year’s competition.
- Have not won the Provincial Challenge in the past.
APPLICATION of INTEREST DEADLINE:
Sunday Feb 25, 2017 *no exceptions
Applications must be received via email by the above date to the following:
Chef Geoffrey Couper
PLEASE DIRECT ALL QUESTIONS TO THE FOLLOWING:
Geoffrey Couper – Competition Co Chair
Okanagan Chefs Association
ALL CANDIDATES WILL BE NOTIFIED BY EMAIL OR PHONE BY – March 3, 2017
ONCE CANDIDATES ARE CHOSEN, DETAILS OF THE COMPETITION WILL BE FORWARDED.
*Please note that the OCA and the BC Provincial competition will follow the exact same format and guidelines as the CCFCC SAPUTO National Culinary Challenge. Refer to CCFCC website for information
4 of the past 5 years’ BC Provincial competitor has come from our Okanagan Chefs Association. 2 of those became National winners and 1 winning silver. So lets get cooking and send another OCA Junior onto the National!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL CANDIDATES AND CHOSEN COMPETITORS!
To learn about the National Saputo Challenge, download the pdf here.